How Marketo Uses Slideshare for Inbound Marketing and Lead Generation - SlideShare Case Study
October 9, 2012
Editor's note: Jason Miller is the Social Media Strategist & Content Marketing Evangelist at Marketo. In this guest post, Jason shares how Marketo includes SlideShare in their content marketing strategy.
The rise of visual content marketing is forcing marketers everywhere to re-evaluate their overall strategy. No longer can a marketing professional rely solely on white papers and blog posts to get their message to prospective buyers and customers. It’s now vital to include a visual element across all marketing campaigns. Marketo is a big advocate of visual content marketing and SlideShare is an essential part of our overall content strategy.
Throughout 2012 Marketo has had great success using SlideShare as a channel to promote our content. Working with Column Five Media, we created a presentation called How to Build a Better Inbound Marketing Machine. In just over four weeks our presentation had over 133K views and hundreds of shares across the socialsphere.
A few months later, we launched a second custom SlideShare deck using the same formula called Visual Content Marketing and it has achieved very similar results as it has just crossed the 105K views mark. Additionally, both SlideShare presentations rank number one above our competitors for the keywords each focuses on.
So how did we do it?
Now this of course is not an exact science, but having the following elements in place to promote and build awareness around your SlideShare presentation will give it a much better chance of increasing views and shares.
- Base your presentation on a topic you are an expert on – We here at Marketo are experts in Marketing Automation, but we also pride ourselves in being leaders in the world of inbound marketing and content marketing as they go hand in hand and play a major supporting role in a successful marketing automation strategy.
- Make it a part of something bigger – Our SlideShare presentation is a part of a much larger content initiative. At Marketo, we build our editorial calendar around monthly themes and then put together the content pieces to support that theme. Including but not limited to, SlideShare decks, white papers, blog posts, email campaigns, and infographics.
- Take it on the road – We present each of our SlideShare presentations at company meetings, user groups, social meetups, industry conferences and webinars.
- Use both paid and earned media in your promotion strategy – As our Inbound Marketing SlideShare deck points out, a marketing strategy that includes elements of both inbound and outbound marketing is vital for spreading your marketing message far beyond your initial reach.
- Work with a partner who understands your goals. If you are planning on creating content for SlideShare with a partner, make sure that your goals are aligned and that you clearly state the objectives well in advance.
The Results: With a bit of careful planning and cross functional alignment of your goals, the results are tremendous. Here are the highlights.
Pulling leads directly from SlideShare
Marketo integrates with SlideShare forms so that each of the downloads listed above sync directly into Marketo. We even have the option to trigger alerts to our sales development team when certain keywords are typed into the comment section of the download form within SlideShare. This strategy turns SlideShare into a lead generation machine that is completely automated.
Want a SlideShare Network for your organization? Contact the SlideShare enterprise sales team.