Introducing SlideShare Community Guidelines
August 26, 2008
As SlideShare has grown, we've felt the need to formalise the unwritten rules that shape a healthy community. While we think the community guidelines we've come up with are reasonably complete, they may be edited later for clarity or to explicitly add something.
For now they are listed below and later this week they will be linked on the main site too.
- We trust you to be responsible and respect each other. SlideShare is a large community of people. In order for all of us to live happily on this site together, it implies a certain level of trust. Trust and respect each other!
- The SlideShare community is made up people with all types of views and backgrounds. Remember that not everyone always agrees with you. Others might have opinions very different than yours. But be polite and friendly in your interactions. In short, play nice!
- While you may not think copyright is a good idea, it is still the law. Please respect it. Do not upload the work of others as your own. Only upload content of others, if they have given you permission (or if they have licensed it under Creative Commons).
- SlideShare does not actively screen content being uploaded because we trust you to self-moderate. But we do have a system where users flag accounts or slideshows for violations/abuse and we will step in when we think it’s necessary.
- SlideShare is not for pornography, sexually explicit content, violence or anything illegal. If such content is reported from your account, it will be deleted or blocked immediately.
- We encourage freedom and free speech but draw the line when it comes to hate speech and harassment. If we think your slideshows, groups or comments are abusive to the site, other users or just in general, your account may be temporarily or permanently blocked.
- Predatory behaviour, stalking, harassing other users, invading their privacy, revealing their personal information etc are all something we dislike intensely. Such behaviour is bad for the community and will not be tolerated at all.
- Please do not use SlideShare for spam. Please think twice before you send a message or a slideshow to everyone on your contact list, some people may consider it spam. Slideshows or comments deemed as spam will be removed.
In all of these cases if we think it’s necessary we may block or ban the account responsible temporarily or permanently. If your account is blocked permanently, you are forbidden to create any new accounts on SlideShare.
For any questions, kudos or brickbats, please contact me at: http://www.slideshare.net/ashwan or via email: ashwan [at] slideshare.com.